Friday, 1 July 2016

Dear Miss // A Letter To My Headteacher


{Bonjour! Just a quick note to explain the post: This is an open letter to my head teacher for reasons that you will understand in the letter. I hope you like it!}

Dear Miss,
              I am writing this because you didn't let me say it in our meeting. I hope you think about what I am about to say. Enjoy!

Firstly, you told me in our meeting that I wouldn't be able to help anyone other than locally because nothing "bad" has happened to me. Why shouldn't I be able to make a difference anyway? Why can't I help the children in Syria even though I'm not there? Why can't I share my views on terrorism even though none of the attacks were near me? Why can't I do something to help people by being the way I am? Why don't you think I could do it? Why don't you think that I can help people? Why don't you believe in me?

The evening after our meeting, I went to my amazing friend Angel's house because she knew I could do with being cheered up. We watched the Disney film 'Pocahontas'. In that film, there is a part where Grandmother Willow (a tree) is talking to Pocahontas and she talks to her about the ripples in the river. She said, "look at the ripples. They're so small at first, but they grow. All they needed was someone to start them". This is my favourite quote because it applies to what you told me a week or two ago. The ripples need to be started in order to make a difference, I am going to start them. And I already have.

After our meeting, I knew I wanted to do something. So I did. I've been talking about donating my hair for months now and I finally did it. I got home yesterday, and I did it. I washed my hair so it was nice and clean, let it air dry and then separated it into 6 sections and my mum cut it. At the minute, the 6 bunches are in my kitchen, but soon, they'll [hopefully] be on the head of an alopecia sufferer. Because I wanted to make a difference, so I did. I got my hair cut and I'm sending it off to a charity that makes wigs for alopecia sufferers, because I wanted to make a difference to one person, even if I never meet them or know them. The place I'm sending it, often buy the hair off you, so if that is the case, I'll be sending all of that money to an alopecia charity - because then I can hopefully help more people. I made a difference - I proved you wrong.

But I'm not going to stop there, oh no. I have a lot more planned out in my head, you just don't know about it yet. You may think I'm angry and/or upset at you, but I'm not. Nope. Not anymore. Yeah, the word 'bitch' did come into conversations that featured you, but I needed you to say those things to me. I needed you to interrogate me with questions. I needed you to doubt me. I needed you to tell me no. I needed you to upset me. Because you made me stronger. You made me believe in myself. You made me remind myself of the passion I have fizzling inside me to do something. You made me create an opportunity for myself and for someone else. You made me determined to make a difference, and you made me determined to prove you wrong. And I did. I proved you wrong. But I'm not mad anymore, I'm grateful.  

I hope I'll be able to achieve more and better things in the future, thank you Miss,
Charlotte


{I plan on writing a post about my hair donation soon, so let me know if you'd like for me to do that! Parle bientot et Je t'aime, Charlotte <3 }



14 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post Charlotte! You rock, girl! I love that you decided to focus on the positive. I agree way more than a hundred per cent that we can ALL make a difference. And you surely did by donating your hair, and you certainly will again many more times in the future. Keep being such a beautiful human being!

    Giulia xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! You've really inspired me to help make more changes :)

    Amy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! You've made my day! Xx

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post, I would love to see a post on your hair donation process, it would encourage others to do as you have i'm sure. Never stop trying to achieve what you believe you can just because someone else said that you can't! Leonie x
    https://prettyrainclouds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leonie! I really want to write one! Thank you again lovely! Xxx

      Delete
  4. This is one of the best posts I have read in a long time! I'm so proud of you for doing this, always prove them wrong Charlotte! I always have. I've wanted to give my hair to the little princess trust but never had the guts to do it because I love my hair and it's my best feature. I hope I can be as strong as you and do it one day!

    Claire ❤| My Little Memoir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Claire, that means so much! Thank you lovely! You should! I felt so much better after I did! <3

      Delete
  5. Your hair looks so lovely now! SO proud of you to do something and prove people wrong xx
    www.blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly so proud of you Charlotte and your new haircut looks gorgeous on you(wish I had the courage to do something like this).I can't wait to read about the hair donation process soon! xx

    http://daisyypetals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely x I can't wait to write it! Xx

      Delete
  7. This is such a fantastic post! Your headteacher is so wrong and you are so right about the things you said! You are so brave to cut your off. I am sure someone will really appreciate it a lot. You also look fab with your new hair xx.

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole! I hope they do! Xx

      Delete