Wednesday, 8 March 2017

40 Reasons I Am A Feminist || #IWD2017

Bonjour!

Hi everyone. Its been a while, huh? I've definitely neglected my blog a lot since, well, August 2016, really. I might explain why I've been neglecting this in another post. But, on to today!

So, yeah, I'm angry. I'm scared, I'm upset and I'm angry. I'm not going to say why, because I'm sure you can guess. I'm sure you heard about the #WomensMarch a few weeks ago. I wanted to talk about this because whenever I tried to talk about this at home, my brother and my dad would always be saying things at me against the idea of it. They'd say it was stupid and sexist and pointless and just a load of angry women. My parents follow me on Twitter and seen I'd retweeted a couple of tweets about the #WomensMarch. My Dad told me not to post stuff online about "things like that" because people might think things about me or something stupid, I don't really know, I usually "switch off" when I smell ignorance in the air - no offence Dad, if you're reading this, you're just uneducated, I'm here to educate you,  don't worry, love you xxxx

Okey dokey karaoke, I wanted to write a list about all the reasons I am a feminist and all the reasons I believe in feminism for the people out there, like my Dad, who don't really understand it/want to understand it and for all the people who want to educate themselves on feminism a bit more. Let us begin!

 

  1. Quite simply, I believe in equality of all the genders, non-gender people, all races and sexualities
  2. Because if I was a man writing this, my male friends would laugh at me
  3. Because gender roles are just plain stupid
  4. Because I've learnt more about great women from history more through Google doodles than my text books
  5. Because people still see breastfeeding as disgusting/sexual/not for public places
  6. Because hair removal for men is optional but expected of women
  7. Because female body hair is so forbidden that in adverts the actress is shaving an bald leg
  8. Because cat-calling isn't a compliment
  9. Because people still feel the need to say "I'm not a feminist, but..."
  10. Because people are more concerned with why women stay in abusive relationships rather than why men are abusing women
  11. Because people still use 'like a girl' as an insult
  12. Because girls can't have a genuine interest in anything without being ridiculed for it:
  13. Because the word 'feminazi' exists
  14. Because 85 million to 114 million women and girls have undergone female genital mutilation worldwide; each year an estimated 2 million more girls suffer the practice in Africa, Asia or as immigrants or refugees in Europe and North America
  15. Because in the USA, 25% of women and 11% of men are victims of domestic violence
  16. Because people still think that men can't be victims of domestic violence
  17. Because people still think that men can't get raped
  18. Because the Governments can afford to pay to give men free condoms but not to give women free sanitary products - sex is a lot easier to refrain from than periods, don't you think?
  19. Because men are told to suppress their feelings and emotions, leading suicide to being the biggest killer to men under 45
  20. Because men showing their feelings and emotions is seen as "weak" or "girly"
  21. Because 1/4 of women in society will be assaulted but people still feel the need to ask how she was dressed
  22. Because periods are still seen as a taboo
  23. Because I'm pretty sure that most of the boys in my school don't really understand what a period is and how it affects a person who has them - I'm in year 10 btw
  24. Because businesses use boobs to sell basically everything
  25. Because half of the girls in Yemen will become child brides
  26. Because 77% of anti-abortion leaders are men and, I can assure you on this one, they will 100% never get pregnant
  27. Because female representation matters - women of all backgrounds, races, religions and sexualities
  28. Because a women is raped every 14 seconds in South Africa
  29. Because there are 2 million victims of sex trafficking each year, 85% of which are women 
  30. Because women in Saudi Arabia still can't vote or drive
  31. Because girls are still expected to want "her prince charming" and "the perfect wedding" from the day she is born
  32. Because if I type the word "vagina" on here then people will either laugh or be disgusted - oh, whoops
  33. Because people still see stretch marks as disgusting - particularly, men. Sooo, BOY, just think about how many stretch marks you gave your mother when she carried you around her womb for 9 months
  34. Because being drunk is an excuse for anything that men do, but for women, it excuses anything done to them
  35. "The Friend Zone" - when men think they are entitled to something (usually sex/sexual activities) from women because they were nice to them
  36. Because girls (in America especially) get sent home from school/get sanctions if their shoulders/bra straps are visible, as they are 'distractions for the boys and could harm their education'
  37. Because girls in more developed countries don't think they need feminism as they aren't oppressed
  38. Because girls are mocked for any interest they have
  39. Because, quite frankly, I don't see why women are seen as inferior to men
  40. Because my Dad will probably laugh at me for writing this blog post
There are obviously more reasons than this list, but these are ones I thought of. I hope this helped someone educate themselves more. Thank you for reading and Happy International Women's Day 2017.

Parle bientot et Je t'aime,
Charlotte <3

11 comments:

  1. I think this is the most inspiring blog post I have read. Will be sharing with the boys who call me lame for being a feminist xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Abbie, you flatter me ;-) Thank you xxx

      Delete
  2. This is such an incredible post that so makes you think about the world you live in. I seriously applaud you gal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte,
    That are a quite few points and they are absolutely true. It's sad that women often aren't equal in law with men, especially in third world countries.
    Love,Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea,
      Its horrible.
      Thank you for reading xx

      Delete
  4. I love this post! I 100% agree about how the majority of anti abortion leaders are men. I think it is a bit weird how they are against something they don't have to go through themselves. That's like women saying their against prostate exams.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! I completely agree xx

      Delete
  5. I love this post so much. There are so many reasons to be a feminist, but my #1 is definitely that in Norway, a country where everyone claims to 'not need feminism' because we have basically equal pay etc., 1 in 10 women have been raped. That's an insane statistic.

    I did a post like this a couple of years ago actually, in case you're interested: http://theamandaway.blogspot.no/2015/03/reasons-why-im-feminist.html

    theamandaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yass Charlotte,its so sad how woman are still made to feel dominated by men with gender roles in 2017!It will be a while till we achieve proper equality around the world but till then we'll just have to keep fighting and educate more about why its wrong x

    http://daisyypetals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post !
    Follow for follow ?
    New post https://hisandherway.blogspot.ba/ ❤

    ReplyDelete